Learn about our beloved Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) during his childhood and earlier years! :)
As a Muslim, it’s an obligation for us to get to know and love Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) even if he’s no longer around with us. In fact, by reading and getting to know about his life, hard work, achievements and dedications towards Allah and his ummah, it will insyallah increase our deen! In this article, we will learn the basic things about his childhood and the earlier years before he was appointed to become the last Messenger.
1. Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) peace be upon him as we all know, is the last Messenger of Allah to us mankind. He was brought to us to bring us out from darkness into light, and that is very true masyallah! To love him, we should and ought to learn more about him and how he lived his life. And to love is not only enough, we should also practice the guidance and examples he has shown us. He is after all, our love, idol, and the man we look up to. :)
2. Let’s learn about his lineage! Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) was the son of Abdullah ibn Abdul Mutalib from the tribe of Qurash, and his mother was Aminah bint Wahb from the clan of Zuhr. His lineage traces back to Prophet Ismail (a.s), son of Prophet Ibrahim (a.s).
Related hadiths: show
3. The Prophet Muhammad (s.a.w) was born in Mecca on a Monday morning, on 9th of Rabiul-Awwal in the year of Elephant (571 A.D). His Grandfather, Abdul-Mutalib, named him Muhammad son of ‘Abdullah!
4. Back in the old days, it was the general custom of the Arabs living in towns to send their babies away to be breastfed by other women and for them to grow up in the desert for them to develop better characteristics, speech and mannerism. The Prophet (s.a.w), as a baby, he was entrusted to Haleemah bint Abi Dhuaib to be his foster mother. He stayed with her until he was 4 or 5 years old.
During that stay, a miracle incident happened to our beloved Prophet! Angel Gabriel (or Jibril) came down from Heaven, opened The Prophet’s chest, took out the heart and washed it masyallah!
Related hadith: show
5. As a little boy, The Prophet was a shepherd over a flock of sheep which belonged to his people. It was not very joyful for the Prophet as he was an orphan and several family members passed away during his childhood. His father passed away before he was born, and his mother died when he was 6 year old. His grandfather, Abdul-Mutalib took care of him, and after he died, his uncle, Abu Talib, took care of him. He was only 8 years old then.
Related hadith: show
6. As he grew up to be a youth, he became involved in trading as his profession, dealing in sale and purchase of cloth and other items. He used to travel, taking caravans of camels for the trading transactions. He was acknowledged by the Meccans as truthful, honest, dependable, sincere and reliable, who always kept his word and never spoke a lie.
For all these noble qualities, he was known amongst his people as Al-Ameen (The Trustworthy) and As-Sadiq (The Truthful).
Related verse from the Quran: show